A short distance to the southwest of Katheni a sign points west down a track 2.5km to Eria (or Moni Erion), which lies amongst trees beside the lower reaches of the Koumbes Torrent which descends originally from the Agali Gorge. The church is dedicated to the Presentation or Purification of the Virgin. Almost the entirety of its 13th century, cruciform plan, c. 4m x 4m, is surmounted by a disproportionately high dome. All the surfaces inside are painted, but much blackened with candle-soot. The surrounding monastery buildings were destroyed in 1840, and only the church, or catholicon, now remains. The springs here once fed the Ottoman aqueduct to Chalcis.
Euboea Island, Greece