Between Korissia & Chora
The road to Chora from Korissia gives the first intimation of the very particular landscape of the island. The valleys are almost immediately deep and steep, the voumes of their hillsides based on interleaving convex and conical forms, constantly folding against one another in compressed space. Every slope is scored with the parallel striations of what has been an immense and centuries old human labour of terracing. By Cycladic standards they have a good cover of vegetation—almonds, olives and vines.
Leaving Korissia to the south, and passing the large disused buildings of the Gleoudis Enamel and Metalworks Factory, built in 1927 in the floor of the valley to the left, you come in 2km to the confluence of the torrents that have formed these valleys. Kea is rich in springs: a branch to the right leads (1200m) up to the year-round spring of Flea which is one of the strongest on the island. Near the main source beside the nursery-garden, other subsidiary springs rise to both sides of the stream-bed. The water is soft but not especially flavourful. The delightful valley of Mylopotamos, which climbs south into the hills, has a series of almost a dozen water-mills, some dilapidated, some still with their funnel-like tower through which the channeled water dropped with sufficient force to turn the wheel, which was usually mounted horizontally. The same water was used to pass from one mill to the next. Five kilometres from the harbour, after a steep climb to 330m a.s.l., the main road reaches Chora.
Kea Island is part of the Cyclades Island Group, Greece.