KEROS



redline

Keros - history

Ηistory
Human settlement has come and gone in these is lands, and our knowledge of their history is consequently patchy. Until the first excavations in the late 19th century, there was no awareness of the extraordinary human activity amongst these islands in the 3rd millennium bc, and its importance for sub sequent history. Some of the earliest lessons in the handling and shaping of marble and the managing of sea-vessels must have been learnt in these islands and their waters. It has even been suggested that the island of Keros was a central, sacred island—a sort of proto-Delos —for the area in the Early Bronze Age. The importance of these small Cycladic centres later diminishes in a new world-order, polarised in the Middle and Late Bronze Age between the cultural and commercial powerhouses first of Crete, then of Mycenaean Greece. During the Geometric period two relatively short-lived settlements on Donousa and Kato Koufonisi flourished. And then the lights virtually seem to go out. Keros, Ancient Keria, figured in Athenian tribute lists in 425 bc. Otherwise, little apart from the evidence of Hellenistic forts on Herakleia and Schinousa sheds light on these islands during the Classical and Hellenistic periods. The Romans had installations on them, but used them mostly as places of exile. A discreet Early Christian presence is evident on Schinousa, but the islands were too vulnerable to piracy and raiders for it to have had any continuity under Byzantine rule, which appears to have largely ignored the area. The archipelago became itself a base for pirates preying on the fertile shipping routes through the area. In the 18th century Schinousa and Herakleia belonged to the Chozoviotissa Monastery on Amorgos, which evidently derived supplies of timber from the former; the other islands were used as seasonal pasture by the inhabitants of Amorgos, except for Donousa which had a permanent population and paid a yearly tithe to the Sublime Porte during the period of Ottoman dominion.
   In 1832 the islands were incorporated into the Greek State together with Naxos . Donousa had a growing population at the end of the 19th and in the early 20th century working the iron-ore mines on the island, which closed in 1938 at the outbreak of war. In 1941 the islands were occupied by the Italians and finally liberated from subsequent German occupation in 1944. Electricity was only brought to the archipelago in the mid 1980s.


Keros Island is part of the Lesser Cyclades Island Group, Greece.


Rating: /5 ( Votes)

access

Aegina Island, the Argosaronic.

By boat: Access to Aegina is by ferry or hydrofoil from Piraeus (Port Authority, T. 210 459 3123).
By hydrofoil (Hellenic Seaways, T. 210 419 9000), the journey takes 35 minutes, with between 6 and 10 departures per day from Piraeus.
Several shipping companies ply the short journey (1.5hrs) with car ferries to Aegina, in total providing departures every one to two hours throughout the day.
There are also once daily services (more frequent in summer) from Piraeus to Aghia Marina in the east of the island. Most services leave from Akti Miaoulis in Piraeus, opposite the Electric Train terminus.
Hellenic Seaways operates a daily ferry from Piraeus (Gate 8) to Angistri, with frequency increasing to twice daily in high season.

Aegina Travel Guide

eating

Aegina Island, the Argosaronic.

Aegina: For the freshest fish and wine, in a simple setting with much local atmosphere, the taverna Agorá is a pleasure at all times of year. It is situated under the makeshift awnings at the back of Aegina"s fish market, one block inland from the waterfront after the Demarcheion. It generally has octopus and small shrimp that are as good as can be tasted anywhere in Greece. At Pérdika there are many tavernas along the raised promenade: one of them, simply called "10", has some of the freshest produce and best prepared dishes amongst them.
Aegina Travel Guide

lodging

Aegina Island, the Argosaronic.

Aegina: The Aiginitiko Archontiko is a small hotel (12 rooms) with great charm, in a neoclassical house opposite the mediaeval Markelon tower in the centre of Aegina town, on Thomaïdou Street. Its reception rooms are of historic interest. The personnel is helpful, and the atmosphere welcoming: open all year round. (T. 22970 24968, fax. 26716, www.aeginitikoarchontiko.gr).
More modern, with more space and easy parking, and not without charm, is the Hotel Danaï, just north of the archaeological site of Kolona in Aegina. (T. 22970 22424).

Aegina Travel Guide

practical info

Aegina Island, the Argosaronic.

 

180 10
Aégina or Aígina:
area 77 sq.km
perimeter 56km
resident population 12,716
max. altitude 531m.
Port Authority: T. 22970 22328.
Travel and information: Karagiannis Travel, T. 22970 25664,

Aegina Travel Guide

Book your Trip to Greece

ferry

advertisements