From the promenade to Kato Myli and Little Venice
The churches of Chora mostly date from the 17th and 18th centuries and although they have plain and undecorated walls, they are not without beauty. The variety of painted and carved wooden iconostases—such as in the double church of Aghios Blasios and of the Metamorphosis (Transfiguration), founded in 1668 (one block south of the centre of the promenade)—as well as a number of the icons in the churches are of note. Set back from the town’s west shore in a square which was once a boat-yard in mediaeval times, is a group of Chora’s most important churches: the highly decorated Orthodox Cathedral of the Panaghia Pigaditiotissa, dedicated to the Zoodochos Pigi, with its ornate wooden throne of 1769, whimsically carved with hidden faces; and the rather more chaste Roman Catholic church of the Panaghia Rodariou, standing to its west. A broad flight of steps leads from the southwest corner of this square up to Kato Myli and the low hill crowned by seven windmills, five of which have been restored and now form part of a well-displayed, open-air Museum of Agriculture, dedicated to various aspects of the rural heritage of Mykonos and to the exploiting of the island’s abundant winds to power mills for flour. There is evidence of wind mills at Mykonos from as early as the 15th century.
Looking north from the hill of Kato Myli, the heterogeneous assemblage of façades of the ship-owners’ houses in Little Venice stretches attractively below. Protruding first-floor, wooden verandas, supported on beams above the spray of breaking waves, allowed the owners to watch for the arrival of their vessels as they rounded the tip of Rheneia.
Mykonos Island is part of the Cyclades Island Group, Greece.
Little Venice of Mykonos.