A street running inland, perpendicular to the southern part of the waterfront, leads 1 km uphill to Ano Vathy, the original settlement of the town, whose narrow wind-ing streets are overhung with wooden balconies projecting from the wood-frame and plaster buildings of a type common to the areas of Ottoman dominion. The most interesting monument is the double church of Aghii Ioannis Prodromos & Nikolaos, which is at the top of the village, below the newly created (and copiously sign posted) Giannaki Open-Air Theatre. First the church of Aghios Ioannis (‘Giannaki’) was erected in 1750; then Aghios Nikolaos was added 50 years later. The result is a square and unusually compact profile, dominated by a cluster of four cupolas (two over the combined narthex; two at the respective crossings). The interiors are current ly in bad condition, their 18th century wall-paintings and plasterwork, stained with damp. A rare treasure, though, is the floor of Aghios Ioannis (south), which is laid with patterned polychrome tiles in pastel colours, dating from shortly after the church’s construction.
Samos Island is part of the Northern Aegean Island Group, Greece.